不会跟大陆一样的吧!

多谢
Jean-Marc

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Taiwan rates can be very, very low Jun 21, 2003

Jean-Marc Aquitaine wrote:

大家好I worked briefly for Taiwan's biggest translation firm, President Translation, and they used to offer me ridiculously low rates like 1 US cent per Chinese character. Other firms/clients pay considerably more; I suggest you give the lowest rate for which you are willing to work...and leave it at that!

一家位于台湾的翻译公司问我肯不肯给予他们在台湾市场上较有竞争性的价格。
哪位可以告诉我台湾的行情?
不会跟大陆一样的吧!

多谢
Jean-Marc

thierry albert
thierry albert  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
Chinese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you want to know more? Jun 27, 2003

Dear Jean-Marc,你问得好!

I agree with Bruce. For sure, Bruce and I are the only translators (Earth is so little)to be in business with Taiwanese companies, so you couldn't find more truthful insight than our. Being myself a native Chinese,and Bruce not less (I saw his picture), I can confirm that there is THE competitive rate for which you are expected to work. The Rate is buried into a locked well, and the key thrown into the well (other say that the key has been cutted in di
... See more
Dear Jean-Marc,你问得好!

I agree with Bruce. For sure, Bruce and I are the only translators (Earth is so little)to be in business with Taiwanese companies, so you couldn't find more truthful insight than our. Being myself a native Chinese,and Bruce not less (I saw his picture), I can confirm that there is THE competitive rate for which you are expected to work. The Rate is buried into a locked well, and the key thrown into the well (other say that the key has been cutted in dices and given as food to the neighbouring monkeys which now have the faculty of speech.)
It is up to you to jump.
But we rather not to speak much in this place, and I invite you to work together in privacy to the flourishing of the hundred flowers of this non-key topic.

A friendly well keeper
Collapse

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rates are the most guarded information Jun 27, 2003

I work exclusively in the U.S. market, and it took me quite a while to find out how I would price my work. It is expected that people are relunctant to reveal their rates, but giving a rate range should be very helpful.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
不甚了解 Jul 5, 2003

Jean-Marc Aquitaine wrote:

大家好

一家位于台湾的翻译公司问我肯不肯给予他们在台湾市场上较有竞争性的价格。
哪位可以告诉我台湾的行情?
不会跟大陆一样的吧!

多谢
Jean-Marc

不是很清楚,但有一点可以肯定:台湾市场的翻译价格比北美低,比大陆高。

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
Taiwan rates Jul 6, 2003

Well, generally speaking (this is very, very general, too!)

you have the agency rates and the direct-to-client rates.

Agencies typically pay from NT$0.6 to NT$2.0 per word (and how they count those words is another question -- source or target -- often target, but it can vary) for work into English. Obviously native speakers and/or those with greater "bragging rights" can command higher rates in Taiwan, but that's pretty much the gamut. Agencies typically don't care *so
... See more
Well, generally speaking (this is very, very general, too!)

you have the agency rates and the direct-to-client rates.

Agencies typically pay from NT$0.6 to NT$2.0 per word (and how they count those words is another question -- source or target -- often target, but it can vary) for work into English. Obviously native speakers and/or those with greater "bragging rights" can command higher rates in Taiwan, but that's pretty much the gamut. Agencies typically don't care *so much* about quality into English in Taiwan (go ahead, sue me, but it's true!) and often use non-native speakers to work into English, as the market is not very sensitive to correctness in English. There are two fairly clear "tiers" of pricing, which do overlap some, depending on whether one is or is not a native English speaker.

For direct to client work, the top rates might reach NT$4 or even NT$5 on a very, very good day, but mostly they are hovering around NT$1.8 to NT$2.5 these days, with many, many jobs offering less. Whom they eventually get to do these jobs is anyone's guess. Government clients pay less, but can often arrange for a translator to also receive the "jiao gao fei" ["checking fee"] as well, even if that requires the use of another name, to boost the effective rate of payment.

Keep in mind that by law (regardless of what actually happens) agencies in Taiwan are required to take out 20% in tax from the money paid to translators not resident in Taiwan. Yes, it's onerous, but that's what the gov't says. You can get it back at the end of the year if you file taxes -- but that's another question entirely. The first NT$180,000 of translation or writing income is tax-free, but the agencies/employer must still withhold at the 20% rate for non-residents. Residents have tax withheld at variable rates depending on their income and their expected tax burden.

Hope this gives you an idea.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

台湾翻译市场

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »