Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Is it really so necessary to have Trados?
Thread poster: Alex Dall'Asta
Alex Dall'Asta
Alex Dall'Asta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 17, 2021

Hi everbody, I have been a full-time translator for 3 years now and have managed to dodge Trados, but several agencies seem to require its use. How necessary do you think it is today?

Gola Kate

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not Nov 17, 2021

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Hi everbody, I have been a full-time translator for 3 years now and have managed to dodge Trados, but several agencies seem to require its use. How necessary do you think it is today?

I turn down work for anyone who specifies it as a requrement. I use a different CAT tool. So my opinion Trados isn't necessary.

P.L.F. Persio
Nikita Kobrin
Cetacea
Thomas T. Frost
Philip Lees
Gabriele Foy
Goumiri Abdennour

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No Nov 17, 2021

Most outsourcers that 'require' Trados actually just need us to be able to handle the common Trados formats (sdlppx, sdlxliff, etc.), and many CAT tools do that.

A few do need Trados for a specific purpose, but I don't have time to accept everything I'm offered anyway, so I can just ignore those and focus on what I can do with memoQ, just as I turn down everything that requires use of various 'exotic' online tools, except for Memsource.

I don't like Trados, so it wouldn
... See more
Most outsourcers that 'require' Trados actually just need us to be able to handle the common Trados formats (sdlppx, sdlxliff, etc.), and many CAT tools do that.

A few do need Trados for a specific purpose, but I don't have time to accept everything I'm offered anyway, so I can just ignore those and focus on what I can do with memoQ, just as I turn down everything that requires use of various 'exotic' online tools, except for Memsource.

I don't like Trados, so it wouldn't make much sense to pay to get it just to be able to handle a few more tasks when I have plenty to do already.

Of course, this is just my own experience. The situation could be different depending on the languages and industries.

[Edited at 2021-11-17 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Marijke Singer
Nikita Kobrin
Kevin Fulton
Stepan Konev
Gabriele Foy
Goumiri Abdennour

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
It depends on the work you do Nov 17, 2021

I've been using Trados for around five years now, and couldn't do without it. But it really depends on the work you do. If agencies are constantly requiring you to use it, you should examine what the ROI of buying it would be.

Vera Schoen
Chiara Santoriello
Jorge Payan
Angie Garbarino
Nathan Russell
Baran Keki
Christine Andersen

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Industry standard Nov 17, 2021

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Trados is an industry standard so not using it is like an Engineer or Architect who does not want to use AutoCad or graphic artist who does not want to use PhotoShop. I'd turn them down.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No, but you will not be able to work for some clients Nov 17, 2021

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

I've been using Trados for around five years now, and couldn't do without it.

I really need a CAT tool for most of my work, but I use Wordfast, not Trados.
Yes, Trados brands itself as "Industry standard" but unless the client needs translators to collaborate via the cloud, they are usually perfectly happy to send me their sdlxliff or sdlppx files and TMs and don't care what software I use.

Some do insist I use Trados for specific projects, or for all of their projects, so those projects or clients will go to someone else.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
rpr
Marijke Singer
Christopher Schröder
Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Default setting for posting jobs? Nov 17, 2021

I've always suspected it is probably the default setting for outsourcers when posting jobs.
My hunch is partly because the requirement for Trados often appears on jobs that patently woldn't be suitable for Trados treatment — and I've even seen it on jobs where another specific CAT tool was mentioned in the advert text!
In addition, I believe it is true to say that there is a business connection between the publishers of Trados and Proz.com; I'm not revealing any secrets, it was a m
... See more
I've always suspected it is probably the default setting for outsourcers when posting jobs.
My hunch is partly because the requirement for Trados often appears on jobs that patently woldn't be suitable for Trados treatment — and I've even seen it on jobs where another specific CAT tool was mentioned in the advert text!
In addition, I believe it is true to say that there is a business connection between the publishers of Trados and Proz.com; I'm not revealing any secrets, it was a matter of public knowledge at one point, but I can't now find back where I read it.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Khadhé

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:11
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Industry standard Nov 17, 2021

Luca Ruella wrote:

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Trados is an industry standard so not using it is like an Engineer or Architect who does not want to use AutoCad or graphic artist who does not want to use PhotoShop. I'd turn them down.

Does learning any piece of software other than AutoCad or PhotoShop, but with the same functions, make an engineer or an architect less qualified or professional if they opt not to use AutoCad or PhotoShop? The same is valid for any other profession.
The point is not what tools you use, but what product or service you deliver.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
rpr
Marijke Singer
Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton
Stepan Konev

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Is it really so necessary to have Trados? Nov 17, 2021

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

It's not absolutely necessary, in my very personal view. I get lots of Studio projects, never turned them down, just used another CAT tool, no client ever complained as he got the file(s) in the required format. What tool I use for this is my business.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Nikita Kobrin
Kevin Fulton
Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen
Vladimir Filipenko

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I stopped using Trados after the 2011 version and switched completely to MemoQ Nov 17, 2021

Most customers are quite happy with sending me a Studio (Trados) package and me using MemoQ (you can send a Studio package back). I don't like Trados while I do MemoQ. I mainly translate technical information so using a CAT tool makes sense.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Nikita Kobrin
Kevin Fulton

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Autocad Nov 17, 2021

Luca Ruella wrote:

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Many architects do not use Autocad. I'm an architect. There are better tools than Autocad.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Not really, but you do need SOMETHING Nov 17, 2021

I get enough MemoQ-required work from several clients that I don't need Trados or even have it installed on my current laptop.

P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Nikita Kobrin
Kevin Fulton
Marijke Singer

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:11
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
No Nov 17, 2021

I use MemoQ instead.

Goumiri Abdennour
Marijke Singer

Chiara Santoriello
Chiara Santoriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
It depends... Nov 17, 2021

It depends on customers, especially language service providers. They may ask you to use Studio, or any other CAT tool or platform. I am using Studio 2019, MemoQ and Memsource.

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

expressisverbis

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
German to English
No longer absolutely necessary Nov 17, 2021

At one time Trados reigned supreme in the CAT tool game. There were a number of challengers, but few attracted a serious following until Déjà vu came along. Translators often owned both programs: Trados was used to segment files, but the work was done in Déjà vu, then reimported into Trados for delivery. This led the the ridiculous (and often arduous) process of the "round trip".

Developers such as Kilgray realized that they could capture an important market segment if they cou
... See more
At one time Trados reigned supreme in the CAT tool game. There were a number of challengers, but few attracted a serious following until Déjà vu came along. Translators often owned both programs: Trados was used to segment files, but the work was done in Déjà vu, then reimported into Trados for delivery. This led the the ridiculous (and often arduous) process of the "round trip".

Developers such as Kilgray realized that they could capture an important market segment if they could produce a program that could handle Trados packages and deliver in that format. Since Déjà vu was moribund I bought memoQ shortly after its introduction and have relied on it ever since as my primary tool.

I last purchased Trados Studio (or whatever it was called) in 2011. I used it sporadically for a while as an alternative to memoQ since I had a large customer who absolutely insisted on Trados.

When I bought a new computer this past summer, after attempts to return my Trados license failed, I didn't bother to transfer the program to my new machine. Although it's still on my old back-up computer, I don't expect to have to use it ever again.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Wolfgang Schoene
Marijke Singer

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it really so necessary to have Trados?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »