Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
關於 KudoZ 運作的談論(Let's Talk about the KudoZ Matters )
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
交代得過去的翻譯就行 Apr 15, 2007

pkchan wrote:

A Go-to Person=交托人

廣東話有"交帶得過"的人。

廣東話音譯是個不錯的選擇,事事設一位 "交代得過去" 的 "交托人",這倒不失酒店業的好風範。只是,台港澳不要,要內地的才行。:D

pkchan wrote:
在英文字典中,go-to (gt)的意思是
adj.
Being a player on an athletic team who is relied upon to make important plays, especially in clutch situations: the team's go-to receiver.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

看一下這個鏈接說的什麼:

http://jeffweintraub.blogspot.com/2006/05/michael-young-on-hitchens-vs-cole.html

He also wrote: "Cole is a minor nuisance on the fringes of the academic Muslim apologist community. At one point, there was a danger that he would become a go-to person for quotes in New York Times articles (a sort of Shiite fellow-traveling version of Norman Ornstein, if such an alarming phenomenon can be imagined), but this crisis appears to have passed."

pkchan wrote:
文哲兄譯作"可靠的专人", 可信靠的“任务型”专人,意思甚為明顯。

那不是我的譯法,我只翻譯成 "專人"。IMHO, 專人不見得可靠,可靠的不見得是專人。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
person in charge Apr 15, 2007

My opinion is not to get bogged down on the specifics of an example by trying to determine what the more accurate translation is. To do that might be kind of missing the point. Plus I'm afraid there would be way too many KudoZ examples that deserve some similar attention or scrutiny

IMO, both interpretations offered for a "go-to person" are correct. But for this specific context, I tend to agree with Wenjer that 专
... See more
My opinion is not to get bogged down on the specifics of an example by trying to determine what the more accurate translation is. To do that might be kind of missing the point. Plus I'm afraid there would be way too many KudoZ examples that deserve some similar attention or scrutiny

IMO, both interpretations offered for a "go-to person" are correct. But for this specific context, I tend to agree with Wenjer that 专门负责的人员 is more appropriate.

Here's an example for the meaning of COC (center of competence):

http://www.askmen.com/money/career_150/169_career.html

... while here's an example for the meaning of a person in charge of a certain task. For the usage in question, I believe this meaning fits the context better:

http://www.abac.edu/sacs/ComplianceCertification/Meeting%20April%20and%20May%202005.pdf

At this point, we are continuing to work on getting all essential documents on the web and getting longer documents in user-friendly format so that creating links to precise locations is not a chore. Dr. Willis is the go-to person for this task.

Dr. Kay Weeks has been identified as editor of the final document.

[Edited at 2007-04-16 13:08]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Steve, Apr 15, 2007

wherestip wrote:

My opinion is not to get bogged down on the specifics of an example by trying to determine what is the more accurate translation. To do that might be kind of missing the point. Plus I'm afraid there would be way too many KudoZ examples that deserves some similar scrutiny

Well, people tend to take specifics for generals. A performance bottleneck becomes a hot spot, when it isn't proper at all if the occurance of the bottleneck is not specified as it should be. You see, when a translator just doesn't go to or trust a 2-E engineer, there is no way to save him.

Yueyin is of the opinion that I am too serious about this incidence, but I am serious about a lot of things. Usually, I don't say all about what I think of them, but I am aware of them.

Yes, there are indeed a lot of examples in KudoZ to be scrutinize like these two. For this reason, I am grateful to jyuan_us for his pointing out of my misinterpretation. Thank God, every translator makes mistakes. Or else, we wouldn't be able to pay them.

[Edited at 2007-04-15 16:39]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about a go-away person? Apr 15, 2007

Something interesting I fount at the following website of Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary:

http://www.catholicism.org/feeney-trinity.html

St. John of the Cross is the man, the real man, because in man’s nature the transcendental element, the personal element, is stronger. St. Teresa of Avila is the typical woman. Man is the go-away person in the sexes, the
... See more
Something interesting I fount at the following website of Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary:

http://www.catholicism.org/feeney-trinity.html

St. John of the Cross is the man, the real man, because in man’s nature the transcendental element, the personal element, is stronger. St. Teresa of Avila is the typical woman. Man is the go-away person in the sexes, the surrendered one in all farewells, as he departs to sail the seas, discover new lands, fight a war. Woman is the stay-at-home. The stay-at-home element in us is nature. The go-away element is person.

What? A go-away person? How about this:

http://www.spellmaker.com/revenge.htm

Wow! Go Away Man and Go Away Woman! How about that.

I guess I should have long been getting lost.
Collapse

Huijun Suo
Huijun Suo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
不怕大家笑话 Apr 15, 2007

我的 KudoZ 脱贫标准就是 100 分,实际兑现的还差几分,估计还应该有几笔 accounts receivable. 唉,俺小户人家就这点志气,没办法。但俺绝对是实在人,不该我得的,我也不好意思要,因为技术原因勉强给我的,我会在别处找齐,但无需刻意而为,只是作为一个原则。这样也决不是要在答题质量上打折扣,我更在乎一种互帮互助的氛围,大家就事论事,即能受益匪浅。

Juliazou wrote:

Huijun Suo wrote:

本人为期一个月、代号“小旋风”的 KudoZ 快速脱贫行动宣告圆满结束。在各位同仁的悉心指导和热情支持下,我感觉自己处理翻译疑难问题的能力大有长进,个人认为这样一个栏目对于 ProZ 新人还是很有帮助的。至于分数,就如 Wenjer 所说,多了也肥不起来,重在参与和汲取其中真正有益的东西,探索解决问题的思路和方法。本人将继续参与,只是会在关注强度上量力而行。谢谢大家:Askers, Answers, Those who agree, disagree and stand neutral, and Moderator.

虽然分数多了也肥不起来,但回答问题的确是有益无害的。:-) 我一闲下来,就喜欢在网上看娱乐八卦(虽无害但也无益)。但开始在kudoz回答问题之后,八卦看得少了,google用得多了。不管回答的问题得到的是各位同仁的agree还是neutral, 大家的评论都让我受益匪浅。虽然从大四开始翻译,如今号称有十年翻译经验,但感觉这几个月的进步比以前十年的进步(几乎没有)都多。我想原因很简单,就是proz里高手如云,我怎么也能“近朱者赤”地沾点儿光呀。:-)
我一直是kudoz的积极参与者,都说“言多必失”,估计我的马脚也露了不少了,有碍观瞻的时候就请大家睁一只眼闭一只眼吧。 实在忍不住的时候尽请批评、指正。:-)

[Edited at 2007-04-15 07:07]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
KudoZ as a tool Apr 15, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Well, people tend to take specifics for generals. A performance bottleneck becomes a hot spot, when it isn't proper at all if the occurance of the bottleneck is not specified as it should be. You see, when a translator just doesn't go to or trust a 2-E engineer, there is no way to save him.

Yueyin is of the opinion that I am too serious about this incidence, but I am serious about a lot of things. Usually, I don't say all about what I think of them, but I am aware of them.

Yes, there are indeed a lot of examples in KudoZ to be scrutinize like these two. For this reason, I am grateful to jyuan_us for his pointing out of my misinterpretation. Thank God, every translator makes mistakes. Or else, we wouldn't be able to pay them.

Wenjer,

I totally understand your frustration (Tingting, are you reading this?)

IMO KudoZ is a professional resource where we help each other out with problems. Like you and others already pointed out, it's not about getting the points. Whether our suggestions are appreciated or taken seriously is out of our hands though.

I try to keep an open mind that my suggestions are not always the best. There are different ways of saying the same thing. So unlike math problems, one certainly can't expect to always have the "correct" answer. Plus like you said, everyone makes mistakes. This certainly doesn't exclude the more experienced people.

IMO, if the asker is conscientious and really cares about the quality of his or her work, he/she would thoroughly research all the suggestions and come up with a reasonably good answer to the original question. Making the wrong choice happens quite frequently too, but most of the time it is because the asker lacks technical expertise in a certain field or really has a problem understanding the source text. It's a different story when the system is not taken seriously and only seen as a convenient crutch instead of a supplemental resource as it should be.

BTW, I haven't been keeping up with KudoZ for quite a while now. So I'm not sure what misinterpretation you're referring to.

[Edited at 2007-04-16 11:40]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huijun, Apr 15, 2007

Huijun Suo wrote:

我的 KudoZ 脱贫标准就是 100 分,实际兑现的还差几分,估计还应该有几笔 accounts receivable. 唉,俺小户人家就这点志气,没办法。但俺绝对是实在人,不该我得的,我也不好意思要,因为技术原因勉强给我的,我会在别处找齐,但无需刻意而为,只是作为一个原则。这样也决不是要在答题质量上打折扣,我更在乎一种互帮互助的氛围,大家就事论事,即能受益匪浅。

Though I cannot help you much, I just want to tell you that I can appreciate your potential.

Don't worry about anything. You will be discovered by some other enterprisers, too.

- Wenjer

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it! Apr 15, 2007

wherestip wrote:
IMO, if the asker is conscientious and really cares about the quality of his or her work, he/she would thoroughly research all the suggestions and come up with a reasonably good answer to his or her own question. Making the wrong choice happens quite frequently too, but most of the time it is because the asker lacks technical expertise or really has a problem understanding the source text. It's a different story when the system is not taken seriously and seen as a convenient crutch instead of a supplemental professional resource.

Steve,

I am not frustrated at all. You see how often I just write some thoughts down in the forum and never mind who and how pissed there could be.

Your observation is quite accurate. We thought that the askers were seeking professional resources, but it hasn't been the case most of the time. Some askers just want whatever answers to fix their jobs at hand. They seem not to care about the "commonwealth" of the community.

You see, I had started this thread long ago. It was worse when I came to ProZ. And I am happy that the situation is bettered off now, somehow. Among the new comers, I have found quite a lot of serious potential translators. Though I am not able to help them as I wished, they have proved to be conscientous translators and found their own ways into professional career. You can identify them easily, when you notice their ways of dealing with others. Those are ideal collaborators and wish I could find more fair jobs for their good jobs.

No, I am not frustrated at all because I know who are really good in this walk.

- Wenjer

P.S. Now, I go for sauna in a few minutes. Have a nice day over there on the other side of the globe!

[Edited at 2007-04-15 18:51]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
有人桑那有人太极 Apr 15, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

P.S. Now, I go for sauna in a few minutes. Have a nice day over there on the other side of the globe!

[Edited at 2007-04-15 18:51]

有人桑那有人太极,有人游泳有人看戏,都比我全乎,。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Take your time for some more pleasure ... Apr 16, 2007

jyuan_us wrote:

有人桑那有人太极,有人游泳有人看戏,都比我全乎。

... instead of some more money.

Julia Zou
Julia Zou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
怎么会笑话? Apr 16, 2007

Huijun Suo wrote:

自打你在“江湖”露面,我就看出你身手不凡了,经常都在私下里暗暗佩服呢。:-) 我很赞同你说的“更在乎一种互帮互助的氛围,大家就事论事,即能受益匪浅。”另外,我觉得问问题也是提高翻译水平的好办法,且不说这样做还能提高翻译质量,让客户更加满意。

Huijun Suo
Huijun Suo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
不敢当 Apr 16, 2007

近一个多月来实在是闲得慌,所以也无问题可问。其实我的英语翻译已经荒疏一段时间了。上一份全职工作主要是看稿,翻译未见有什么提高,但对解决 KudoZ 这样单个的局部性问题还是有不少帮助(变得更敏感了,这也是一种提高),也很乐于参与。

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
值得提倡的小动作-- 突出有疑问的词/短语 Apr 16, 2007

转换一下话题:

有时候为提供足够的context information, asker会需要copy 一长段文字在问题里。经常我会一遍读过去找不到akser问的那个词出现在哪里

所以我第一次看见 Shang的提问就觉得他是一个很 considerate的 asker-- 他把自己问的那个词/短语用asterisks 突出出来(例如:http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1870402 ),实在是很方便answerers。

我觉得这种小动作值得提倡。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
小節相當重要 Apr 16, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

我觉得这种小动作值得提倡。

選擇合作者時,我其實也注意到這些小節。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
时代和语言的发展 Apr 16, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

我觉得这种小动作值得提倡。

Shaunna,

"小动作" 原先总是带贬义的. 可见语言是不断发展的. My guess this new usage (new to me) probably came from "small gestures like this" which is typically used in a positive sense in English.

[Edited at 2007-04-16 18:07]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

關於 KudoZ 運作的談論(Let's Talk about the KudoZ Matters )

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »